In the U.S., October is known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Knowing that women make up half the workforce in the leisure and hospitality industry, we’re determined to help spread awareness about this devastating disease that impacts so many around the world. Please join us and do what you can to help keep your staff and guests healthy, honor the brave women (and men) we’ve lost to breast cancer, and support those who are doing battle with it right now.
So what can you do to make a difference? We have some ideas!
1) For starters, you can make a difference by simply promoting (putting up posters and flyers) and encouraging participation by staff and guests in local walks and races that help raise awareness of breast cancer and funds for research. We like this one a lot because it’s fun, and you can get your team involved.
2) Another way to show your support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month is to get your pink on. Transform high-visibility spaces in your hotel with pink ribbons, flowers, and themed amenities. The visual impact of these decorations will raise awareness, while creating a warm and comforting atmosphere for guests. It’s a beautiful reminder that small gestures can make a big difference.
3) Hotels can also play a pivotal role in raising funds for breast cancer research and various awareness organizations. You can organize a fundraiser at your property or host charity events and donation drives. Some hotels donate a portion of their room bookings or sell special merchandise with proceeds going to the cause. To amplify the impact of your efforts, partner with breast cancer charities, hospitals, and groups within your community who share your goals and focus.
4) Set out informational brochures or digital resources about breast cancer awareness and early detection for your guests. This is especially valuable for international travelers who might not be familiar with the specific initiatives in the region. For the educational materials themselves, contact your local breast cancer awareness organizations for assistance.
5) Make breast cancer awareness a year-round effort at your hotel. For example, plan quarterly activities or awareness efforts at your hotel that can keep the conversation going and reach more people. Getting involved with national organizations, like the National Breast Cancer Foundation or Susan G. Komen, can help guide and inspire your efforts and your impact.
By coming together and supporting important causes like breast cancer awareness, we can make a real difference in people’s lives and show the world what hospitality really means.